Friday, December 31, 2004

Well OK, I lied

It's still New Year's Eve, and I have yet to celebrate, but I have two hours to waste, so I'm going to reflect on 2004 now, rather than tomorrow.

One year. 12 months. 52 weeks. 365 days. Anything was possible. A lot happened. And I learned so much.

-Boys' basketball went to state in March. I learned how proud I am to be a Lumberjack.
-I took my first plane ride ever, and learned that flying isn't THAT scary, afterall.
-I said goodbye to two people I love. I learned that some things just weren't meant to be, and that saying goodbye is part of growing up.
-I had my first well-paying job, and I learned how to save that money I made.
-I found my self-confidence. I learned that I can be whoever I want, and that's perfectly okay.
-I re-discovered old friends, and learned how lucky I truly am.
-I became a leader, and learned how fulfilling it is to help create success.
-I made new friends, and learned that everyone has their own story to tell. (And they all need someone to listen to it.)
-I finally grew out my bangs. I learned that patience really does pay off.
-I voiced my opinion, and learned that what I say really does matter.
-I felt passionate about a cause, and learned that young people can make a difference.
-My country dissapointed me. I learned that I really can't wait to turn 18.
-I started this blog, and learned how much I like journalism.
-I figured out what I want to do with the rest of my life, but learned that I'm not in too much of a hurry to start it.

The moral of 2004 really was that "every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." (Semisonic) We're growing up, really fast, and we won't survive unless we can be optimistic about our past, present, and future. Because who knows what's next. Embrace it, whatever it is.

Have a great night, and happy, happy, HAPPY 2005. ;)

Comments:
I am a frequent reader of this blog. I really enjoy your writing, but this is the first time I have commented on it. Being a fellow teen, and actually a fellow peer, I can really relate to your writings. One thought on this particular entry. There are some things that one has to let go for example, the passing of a loved one, or also relavant in both of our lives is leaving the old school. We cant bring the deceased back and we cant go back to the old school, as much as we wish we could. On the other hand I think there are other things that we need to hold on to, or let go for a while but not totally give up. For example; relationships. Be it boyfriend girlfriend or just a friendship, chances are if it worked in the past, even if the relationship is going through tough times, it will come back into your life (lives?) in full force or even better. I dont know you all that well, but one thing I do know is that you rediscovered old friends. Maybe you let go for awhile or there were some rough spots, for a few months or even years, along the way. Sometimes one just has to sit back and let things work themselves out. And granted, some things *as you said*, just werent meant to be. But we need to keep our hearts and minds open for the day that a friendship, or even love, comes back into our lives. I think we all need a mesage of hope like this to keep on moving down the road of life. WHEW! Sorry if this was too much of a comment.

-A regular reader

ps sorry for the typos if there are any
 
Great comment, first of all. Actually productive! And I thank you for that. I completely agree that some things need to be given time in order to work themselves out. The two people I referred to in this entry have affected my life in tremendous ways, and I hope that eventually those situations find a way to work out like they used to. Or, not exactly like they used to, but so that they just exist. I know from the old friends that I've re-discovered that it's never too late to give someone a second chance, or even to give yourself a second chance, and that keeping "our hearts and minds open" is a good way to make sure we aren't missing out on important relationships. That's a GREAT message of hope, and thanks for reading. ;)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]