Thursday, November 04, 2004

"America has spoken..."

...and has said that 51% of our country is, well, ignorant. As the front page of The Daily Mirror, out of Britain, read today (accompanied by a picture of the moron himself), "How can 59,054,087 people be so DUMB?" Before I take this post to vent, I would like to acknowledge the fact that I do have fairly loyal readers who are, indeed, Bush supporters. You are all entitled to your own opinions, and I apologize ahead of time to any of you that may be offended. This is MY blog, however, and I will try my hardest to take only this one post to display my feelings about the events of this past week.
Basically, there is so much feeling regarding this issue that I don't really know where to begin. Being unable to vote, all I was able to do was get out the word and display my support for John Kerry and other democratic candidates. I started out, right before the war began , not supporting any candidate in particular. I had my own set of opinions and values, and I was really just an "Anoyone But Bush" supporter. I began supporting John Kerry already knowing what I wanted and didn't want in a president. When I saw him speak in Appleton, I knew that as president he could be trusted, and would be an honest man that would do good things for our country. He made me feel safe, and for the first time in several months, I was proud to stand for the National Anthem and the Pledge of Alliegance.
There were so many issues involved in this election, the war and gay marriage being my top two concerns. Several people have said that John Kerry had no plan to resolve the war in Iraq. I cannot deny that, because I don't recall hearing a set plan to fix things. However, George W. Bush has also failed to mention how it will all be handled, and is also, if I remember correctly, the man who sent us to war for an undeclared and unjust reason, that has, to make things even worse, changed several times over the course of the war. Killing people, especially those that are innocent, is never justified. NEVER. If he is capable of starting a war in which over 1,000 soldiers have died for no cause, I do not at all trust that he is capable of solving the conflicts that now exist.
On the issue of gay marriage, it totally disgusts me that an amendment has even been considered to ban it. If anything, living in America, the land of the free, efforts should be made to ensure the happiness and equality of those couples. I understand that some people have moral issues with homosexuality, and I respect that. However, just because it is disagreed with does NOT mean that it will dissapear, or that homosexuals deserve any fewer rights that heterosexuals. I do not see how two women getting married affects anyone but the two involved. They will not start recruiting other people to become gay, and just because it is allowed does not mean the population of straight people will at all decrease. Wherever that idea came from is beyond me. It is also NOT a threat to the "sanctity of marriage," because what "sanctity" does marriage have in our society the way it is? Those who believe homosexual married couples are the ones who would destory that have been living in a cave.
Referring back to something I said earlier, I formed my opinions before I chose a candidate. In these past two days following the election, it has become obvious to me how many people believe what they do and support who they do because they have been TOLD to. By the age of 18, it is assumed that young people can form their own opinions in a decent enough manner to be responsible enough to cast a vote that's worth something. The only reason I am glad that there are 4 more years until the next election is because at 16 and 17 years of age, several people have yet to become informed about what is really happening in the world around them. I can only hope that in the next presidential election, both candidates will be competent enough to actually hold the position, and that the more capable is elected.
On another unfortunate note, Elizabeth Edwards has been diagnosed with breast cancer. That woman signed my young dems shirt; she is an incredible, kind person and hopefully she will be in everyones thoughts and prayers as she fights strong through this battle.
Finally, to end this positively, Russ, Donna, and Dave all came out of the election victorious, and I couldn't be happier. I've actually met all three of them, in person, and I'm proud that they are representing us.
It's been a tough race, and unfortunately the democrats have not all come out on top. This time. Can't wait until 2008.

Comments:
I agree that america is being ignorant and jumping on the bush bandwagon. The only reason we are in this war is because bush sr failed to properly resolve issues in the middle east in the gulf war. We(america) had the Iraqie army surrounded and were in position to march on baghdad and capture saddam himself, and what did bush do? He left them go. And here we are today, over a decade later, fighting the same war, and still blindly stumblying along led by a man who can't even properly pernounce "nuclear".(and who looks like a monkey, not to say kerry doesn't look like a horse) However, those soldiers did not die for no cause, they died for the freedom of other americans. How can you be so insolent as to say that you take pride in the national anthem or pledge but yet are not thankful for the people defending your freedom. The reason they are defending your freedom is because bush sr failed to properly crush the middle east, and saddam, al queda, and the terrorists survived to attack us on 911.
Gay or lesbian marriage should NOT be allowed. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be allowed to join together in some form of matrimony, but it should not be marriage. Marriage is for a MAN and a WOMEN. America is fast becoming too lienient in its social taboos. Sex is becoming much too rampant and is losing its reverance.
 
Homosexuality has been around since the beginning of time. People have done studies showing that apes show homosexual behaviours as well as do frogs,dolphins,whales,manatees, and many other creatures on this earth. If homosexuality has been around just as much as heterosexuality has how can you say marriage should only be allowed between a man and a woman, poster? I agree with allison here. You can't begin to guess how angry ignorant people like you make me. It just really bugs me how people can be so hateful. In ohio people actually voted that if your gay you may not co-own a house. How is that right? Wow. I am scared of what is coming in the next 4 years. But I'm also glad to have the ability to say "Don't blame me. I supported John Kerry."
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]